Translate

Monday 11 April 2011

My visit to Prague

I haven't blogged for a while mainly because I went to Prague.  I attended the Prague Patchwork Meeting, where I showed some of my quilts, and taught a couple of workshops.  It was a wonderful experience.  Czech quilters are very talented, they produce beautiful work and are interested in what is going on in the rest of the quilting world.

Then, on my return, I have spent the last few days working very hard to finish some quilts for my exhibition at the Carrefour du Patchwork in France - there was a deadline for sending images for the catalogue. 

Here are some first impressions of Prague.  We were very lucky with the weather, which was mostly warm and sunny - just like the last few days in Britain.

Charles Bridge is one of the best known features of the city.  It was the first, and for a long time the only one, bridge over the river Vlatava.  It is adorned with statues of saints, and has a tower and arch at each end.  It is also full of tourists and street sellers!


There are beautiful views from the bridge.
Trams are a great form of transport.  In general, public transport in Prague is first rate.


We walked along the small crowded streets of the Old City to the main square.  The towers of St Mary's Church are beautiful.


The Astronomical Clock is quite a magnet, attracting crowds of visitors.


On the other side of the river, Prague Castle is an important feature of the city.  We spent quite a lot of time there;  within it is St Vitus' Cathedral, a fascinating gothic building with the most amazing stained glass windows.

Next time I will show some stained glass windows and their amazing colours.  For now, I leave off with a view of Prague from the Castle.


Good night, and thanks for visiting.
Alicia

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia, Thanks for the beautiful photo's of Prague. It is a lovely city. I have been there some years ago and love to go back some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. I had never been before but had heard so many good things about it. It did not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, don´t you find the pictures very inspirational for a whole new line of quilts? I look forward to the stained glass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for photos. I couldn't see Prague my own eyes this April. The reason was I was late to book a place for your workshop :( Thinking the more important is to book a ticket for traveling.
    Hope next workshop I am on the first place:)
    Rumi, Bulgaria

    ReplyDelete