Translate

Monday 3 January 2011

Colour, Light and Monet

My first encounter with Colour and Light in paintings was at the Jeu de Paume gallery in Paris, in 1964, when I stood in front of Monet's Rouen Cathedral picture series, painted at different times of day, reflecting completely different light conditions.  It was an experience so memorable that I can never forget it.  For Europeans, that may sound like an easy ride - but for me, coming all the way from Argentina to Europe in a boat, it was quite a big thing.

Colour and Light have always been a passion of mine.  It is now reflected in my textiles and in my photography.  Interestingly enough, when I worked in photography, in the seventies, all my images were black and white - Light, but not Colour.  However, that taught me a lot about Value - another very important element of design.

Here are three of my New Year photographs of variations in Colour and Light - and Value.




Thank you for looking and reading!  Happy New Year!  See you soon!  Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment